We generally spend 5 -7 days of man-time there surf casting, driving the beaches, and enjoying the fine cuisine at Pops - a local hole in the wall bar up the road from the house.
This year was no exception and proved to be one of our more fruitful trips catch-wise. There was the first Puppy Drum caught in a group effort on Mr. B's rod, Tyler witnessed the fish hit the line, and I had the pleasure of reeling it in (see below). It was not a keeper (18 inch minimum), but still makes for a great story. This one was caught where we probably spent the most time -off ramp 55 all the
The weather was hit or miss for the 5 days we were down this year, but generally good with highs reaching 70 and not to cold in the evenings. The wind gave us some trouble a few times, but 70 in December - I'll take.
Mr. B managed to catch the a Puppy Drum himself out at the point below Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (right). Also not a keeper, but judging by the smile on his face - I don't think it mattered much.
We also pulled in our fair share of dog fish as the locals call them. I heard them called horn dogs too, probably because of the horn or spike they have sticking out of their back dorsal fin. It's really a little sand shark and they are huge pain when you're surf casting - especially with the limited range the three of us have. Not to leave Tyler out, since he caught one of the bigger one's - you can see what I'm talking about below.
We probably reeled in at least 20 of these things along with skate and plenty of seaweed. Mysteriously missing bait plagued our efforts as well. Remember - you can't catch fish on an empty hook. We always get to see some pretty amazing sites and that's just the locals. The beaches are generally packed with fisherman and onlookers waiting for the legends of the stripers and blues blitzing the beach. Our excuse is always that they are just beyond the sand bar, but truth be told - I'm perfectly content just standing there with good friends and relaxing.
I'll leave you with this. Whatever it is in your life you love to do, whatever brings you happiness and peace of mind - make time for it.
Thanks again to the Benedum's and the Cox's for another memorable trip to the Outerbanks. I can't wait to get back down there next year .
No comments:
Post a Comment