Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Holy %$#@!!! Where's the Tylenol?!?!

What a whirlwind of a holiday season. We spent Christmas Eve, Day, and most of the weekend with Denise's family in South Jersey. To clarify, this is not a new state (like South Carolina), although I think the people from there sometimes wish it was. Anyway, we had a blast. It was a first for me. Yes, that's right. This year was the first year ever in my 30 years of life that I spent Christmas morning somewhere other than 8 Lee Drive, Famingdale, NY 11735. I survived and I am a better person and a better husband for it. Denise spent Christmas away from her immediate family last year and the rotation seems to be the way to go for now.

Gifts were exchanged and there was plenty to eat and drink. I even had the time and energy to check off a little home improvement project for my mother-in-law, a much needed composting bin for her leaves and assorted other yard waste. Despite my heroic efforts as a son-in-law I paid the price in the damage inflicted on my not so "spring-chicken" anymore and between what is probably a stress fractured arm and heaven knows what I did to my back, I am still recovering. The compost bin looks fantastic and my mother-in-law loved it - and that's all that really matters.

We trekked back to Delaware for a few days of house chores and I even went back into the office a bit. Then it was off to Long Island, New York, for the much anticipated family New Year's eve party.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, my mother's entire extended family and friends (this year's attendance - roughly 75+ people) crams into a 3 bedroom, one and a half bath, split level Levitt-style ranch. There are chairs, snacks tables, food, drink, screaming children, drunk under-age cousins, and fireworks are flying everywhere. I think you get the point. To the first time attendee, it is the ultimate test. We had a few of those this year and I think they were a little worse for wear after the event. Nevertheless, it is a total BLAST and this year was no exception. We even spiced it up a bit with a theme - the 1980's and all it's glory (pictures to follow).

We stuck around for a few days to catch up with more family and just relax, which generally involves a lot of screaming at each other, but almost just as much uncontrollable laughter.

Before I close things out, we were blessed with 3 new arrivals during the holidays. Denise's cousin Jessica gave birth to a little baby boy on December 14th, another Robert - such a great name. Our very good friends Robbie and Emma Bush had their very own little Christmas miracle, Jacob William ("Jake"), just under the wire on Christmas Eve. Finally, my cousin Adam and his wife Julie welcomed Kendell Rose to the family on January 3rd. Congratulations to you all.

All in all - I have to say the 2008 Holiday Season was a success. I'm back to work already and Denise heads back to school next Monday. We wish you all a very safe and prosperous New Year and hope to see you soon.

As promised - pictures added 1/22 ...

Our first Christmas in our new house ... kind of. Dad, Rob K., Cristina, and Michael opening gifts in our living room. Note Cristina and Mom are in their pajamas at 8:30pm.

More gift opening.

Dad and his "You'll know it when you see it" gift - a replica Terra cotta warrior to remind him of his travels to China in 2008 and protect him from fake Rolex salesmen on the streets of Shanghai.


Mario of the Brothers Mario (Rob K.) and his lovely bride, Tiffany - of late 80's Mall performance fame (Cristina) w/ a cameo-appearance by Don Johnson (my cousin Monica's husband) all getting ready for the big New Year's Eve party in New York.

Michael and his girlfriend, Melissa, pre-gaming at the hotel. We found out later that the black t-shirt was really a tank-top and the mustache doubled as a uni-brow. Very Freddie Mercury if you ask me.

The Blues Brothers made an appearance - Dad and Dave, my cousin Angela's boyfriend.

Melissa, Michael, Angela, and Dave - all ready to party.


Ah, the lovely couple.

Michael and Dad are clearly starting to enjoy themselves.


Mom and me - my expression says it all.

Finally, my Godson Cameron. What is his costume? Well, he is dressed as me - circa 1982 (khaki pants, blue button-down shirt, sweater vest, and a serious expression included).

3 comments:

Robbie said...

seriously still waiting on some pics...

Rob and Denise said...

Sorry for the delay - I won't let it happen again.

Robbie said...

no mercy here, you know that...but well done on the update...